Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Seminarians are like incense at mass...

...or garlic in cooking - you can always use more.

The title and first line are something that Archbishop Michael Jackels (of the Archdiocese of Dubuque) has said on multiple occasions. No, this is not going to be a post on why we need more seminarians and priests, but rather about how seminarians have impacted my life. I often like to think of seminarians as "big brothers you never had." Really, there's something special about them and I was lucky enough to attend a school with a minor seminary attached to it which meant that I was able to get to know several guys who were (about) the same age as I was. I didn't realize how unique it was to attend a school where I could get to know the guys while they were in minor seminary until I graduated; it was just normal for "the sems" to always be around.

This past weekend I was able to witness the ordination of two new transitional deacons and five new priests. It's really quite the experience and I encourage you to go sometime if you've never been. It was such a blessing to be able to be there as Deacons Jacob and Andy and Fathers Ralph, Dennis, Kevin, Andrew, and Austin were ordained. Many of these guys had/have a pretty big impact on my life.

My first experience with a seminarian was during my senior year of high school at a TEC retreat. I'll be honest, at that point in my life I had no idea what a seminarian was, but I learned quickly. Shortly after I checked in at the retreat, this overly-enthusiastic guy came up to me and introduced himself. At that point, I was wondering what I had gotten myself into, but as life would have it, I later found out that this guy was a) a seminarian and b) that he was studying at Loras (where I would be attending school). This certain guy would always help to put a smile on my face whether it was telling a silly story or just saying hi as he passed me on campus. It was nice knowing somebody that I could talk to or ask questions of as I started my adventure at Loras. Through him, and just being at Loras in general, I got to know some of the other guys who would eventually become good friends.

I wish I had the time to write about each of these guys individually, but I don't (and I don't want to make this too long). But I just want them to all know that they've made a difference in my life (and I'm sure so many others' lives as well). It's quite amazing to watch them go from a seminarian to a deacon to a priest. I appreciate all of the times they've reached out, listened, prayed, and were a great friend to me, despite being busy with their own studies and lives. I really encourage you to get to know a seminarian or two. Even if you can't get to know them personally, pray for them as they are the future priests of your (arch)diocese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment