Tuesday, August 29, 2017

A year in review...#1 at St. JPII

Just the other day I was reminded that I had been in Omaha for 2 years. Those 2 years have been quite the wild ride. I've definitely had my fair share of good days and accomplishments as well as bad days and disappointments. One of the best decisions I have made in these past 2 years has been living at the St. John Paul II Newman Center. Living? At the Newman Center? Yep, you heard me right, the St. JPII Newman Center in Omaha is a residence hall as well as an oratory/parish and community gathering space. Living in this amazing place has been so incredibly good for me, not only spiritually, but mentally and emotionally as well.

Modeled after a monastic community, the "Newman Center" or "JPII" (as it has been affectionately nicknamed by students), opened its doors for the first time in August of 2016. I had the privilege of being one of the first residents to live there. I'll admit, I was a little nervous going in because I was a grad student and a bit older than most of the students, but I quickly found that age (at least in this community) is simply a number. The residents quickly formed an overwhelmingly welcoming community which was further enhanced by the larger community (known as MavCatholic). I quickly found out that "if you're bored, you're doing something wrong" (to borrow a common phrase from my undergraduate years), as there is always something happening at Newman. Here's just a bit of a year in review of some of the activities and events that went on as well as look to the future.

We could say the year started (or continued - however you want to look at it) in July with the mid-summer barbeque). At the BBQ, those who were already involved in MavCatholic were able to get together to catch up as well as meet some of our new residents & community members. This event just got everyone even more excited for the next month when the doors at JPII would be opening for the first time.

Moving day! Sometime mid-August (sorry I can't remember the exact date... 15th or 16th I think), the first-ever residents moved in. It was an exciting time for so many; students from all walks of life - freshman through graduate students, as well as our priests and staff. After getting settled and meeting (new for some) roommates, the resident assistants had us busy doing things to get to know one another. One of the most exciting (or so I'm told; I was gone for a wedding) was the Newman Hall Olympics where the floors competed against one another to be the 1st Annual Newman Hall Olympics Champion. This event kicked off what turned out to be an amazing first year.

Throughout the first year, many fun events were held to help develop the whole person. These ranged from daily adoration and mass to movie nights and even field trips. Some of the favorites from the community were:

Not only did people have favorite events from the year, but they also had favorite memories, moments, or just general things from the Newman Center. One of those favorites was the free coffee. Yes, free coffee. Every. Single. Day. Everybody has their favorite flavor and way of making it. My friend Josh really likes the Caramel Crunch coffee, especially when he makes it iced. I'd have to agree with him! If I wasn't a coffee drinker before (I was...kind of.), I am now!

In April, the biggest event of the school year happened (at least in my eyes). On April 2nd, the oratory was finally dedicated! We went from having mass in Karol's Commons to having a separate worship space. It was quite the ceremony! I don't think I'll ever forget the dedication mass and how beautiful it was. Lots and lots of prayers have already been sent to our Lord within these four walls and many more will be sent in the years to come.

Looking ahead to this school year, there are a lot of fun things planned. Our first big event (aside from the 2nd annual Newman Hall Olympics) is the back to school BBQ which is a part of UNO's Durango Days. It'll be held on Wednesday (Aug. 23rd) during the first week of classes. It's a great way for new students to be introduced to the Newman Center and for those already involved to meet new people. I know I'm looking forward to this event as well as many others to be held throughout the year. I'm especially looking forward to being involved in a Bible Study, community nights, the Sacraments, and just being a part of a great community. Here's what other "Newmanites" are looking forward to:







No comments:

Post a Comment